Friday, May 24, 2013

Chillaxing

My car started indicating it was overheating the other day.  I don't like it when my car does things that aren't normal, its right up there with taking a shit after a shower. 

I'd called my mechanic.  He's wonderful.  He made a house call.  He came and did some brief trouble shooting.  He began by adding one and a half gallons of water to my cars cooling system (which takes two gallons) and determined I had a leak somewhere.  We agreed he'd come back in the evening after I did some busy work stuff with kids and work.  He did a pressure test and found my slow leak.  I was safe to wait until this morning, Friday, to come to his shop to have him replace a gasket.  As well he tested my engines cooling fan, determined it works but the connection was fried.  He removed the cover, fixed the problem by removing the plug casing which was making the connection short and reworked it, and he replaced the gasket.  I bought coolant and he put that in then sent me on my way, no charge.  He's really great.  I am pleased I have him because he explains what he's doing, why, and doesn't treat me like I'm stupid and he doesn't cheat me.

I brought him maple doughnuts and glazed twists and black coffee and we joked around while he did the work. 

Later that afternoon I made my friend lunch.  Sadly that was my low point of the day.  Details are unnecessary but we both felt kind of out of it, so ... enough said.  Lunch was good, we just both felt icky.

Then I picked up my oldest son after school, my youngest son had a Four day weekend due to a strategically placed furlow day.  We opened the door to the smell of matches and seeing my son furiously trying to cover up his bad decision.

He is So my Kid!  I guess all kids are sneaky about kid world stuff, I was, so I will not complain.  He's not stupid.  He strikes the matches over the sink and puts them out in a glass of water.  I did worse when I was kid.  I grounded him to his room for the night.  I just wish we had a real fireplace, not the cheesy useless gas one where one can't watch the flames.  Fire is like the ocean.  It can be hypnotic, soothing.

Lastly, I went to the historic part of town for a writers hop.  We have Art Hops (I haven't gone yet but want to).  We were sent around to different shops to answer questions.  We had to write perfect sentences.  Ha! Major challenge for me as I see sentence formation as a creative endeavour and not an actual structured thing with rules.  My friend brought her daughter.  The final meeting place was in a restaurant/bar so we weren't sure if we could take her daughter there and we opted for sushi instead as they were both hungry.  On our Hop I ended up buying an Asian silk drawing for almost nothing.  It's lovely, flowers and a butterfly.  I hope to get it framed later to better display it.  I also bought a swim suit... Retro, black, with red cherries.  Not so for almost nothing... hmmmm...

Not the best idea, but, there you have it.

Overall it was a nice day.  Distracting me from thinking about things I can't stop thinking about.  Getting me out to experience something familiar in a part of town I love to go but making me think differently about it.

Tomorrow is my tattoo appointment.  That's going to be a distraction for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment