Friday, April 11, 2014

My City Smells Like Orange Blossoms


I like to drive fast on the highway, with the windows down and a favorite cd playing.  Lately it has been a metal band.  This is not my usual style but does increase my speed.  I like feeling the wind in my hair, and the sound of the tires on the road.

The weather is warm, leaning toward hot, and sunny.

I like it when while I am driving I hit pockets of fragrance.  Particularly orange blossoms.  The heady fragrance always makes me smile and feel relaxed.  I guess it just triggers the good synapses in my brain.

Tonight I went to a local nursery.  I loved the earthy smell of damp soil, water, and plants.  The flower scents mingled gently with food and music playing in the background quietly.  Jazz.  I am glad it was quiet because it wasn't my kind of jazz. 

My girlfriend and I were catching up.  She had a spicy chicken bowl and I will say it, mine was better.  It was a pesto chicken hogie.  Seriously, delicious. 

There are these gourmet food trucks that hit different locations in and around the city and I occasionally go.  This location is in my old neighborhood so it was fun to walk to the nursery (which has been hosting this as a dinner venue on Friday and Saturday nights) from my friends house just up the street and around the corner. 

I haven't been to this one yet,  The beer garden and live band were nice touches and made it special.  Usually I go on the weekend, they set up about a block from my work on Saturday's and Sunday's at a business that sells fresh and dried fruit and nuts, and fire wood cut from old orchards.  I went with my oldest son on Sunday and it was so nice to just spend time with him alone and eat some good food.

I wouldn't say it is the cheapest food, but it is a nice change from the norm and it never disappoints.

When my friend, her daughter, and I sat to eat and catch up we were over off of the beer garden and I had my my back to the other people milling about or sitting and eating and talking.  I don't normally do this but I was focusing on my friend and trying to read her as this is the first time we've spent time together in months.  It was really relaxing, though I wish I could have done more people watching.  I would have happily stayed longer just relaxing and enjoying the scenery, watching everyone come and go, the kids playing among the adults and the rows of plants and flowers.  This nursery has an almost a park-like setting with little sitting areas, areas for pots and areas for flowers, a few small gazebos.

There had been a band playing jazz when we arrived.  Soon after we got our food and sat down they'd finished. 

Aside from being tired from work it was a really pleasant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment