Sunday, April 28, 2013

I'm Just A Soul Who's Intentions Are Good

I never gave a thought to The Animals 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' ever making  me cry.  It very nearly unhinged me at church this morning.  Little things like that blind-side me all the time these days. How did this come about?

Church this morning.  It was about communication.  The service, not counting the singing 'worship' part I am not into... It is because there is a lot of standing up and sitting down.  Singing=standing up, sit down quick welcome intro, stand up greet people next to you, singing=stand up, intro prayer, sit down, sometimes stand up and sing again, sit down, intro to sermon, sermon, end of service (the head pastor has a saying and then people repeat 'and to you'...

I'm not into it.  It makes me uncomfortable.  Why not have a period when you Stand and then SIT.  The up down, up down stuff drives me crazy.  The greet the people next to you bit, drives me crazy, the little saying and repeat bit at the end, drives me crazy.  Drives me crazy is a bit strong.  It annoys me for some reason.  I think it is because I want to go and observe and listen, not be dragged into socializing and singing.  Very few of the songs resonate with me.  I tend to like blue grass gospel personally, but I will admit there are a few I like and people are generally happy in a genuine way.

The part I like... a lot actually... Intro to service and service/sermon/talk whatever.  The intro is a special video or video skit.  Lately the service intro (this is what I call it btw) has been typically an old video from the Ed Sullivan Show, or Dick Clark's American Bandstand... I miss those shows btw, I'm 41 but I do remember them.  Those and the Solid Gold dancers and Soul Train.

The first in the Series opened with  The Beatles 'Help!', The second, Lesley Gore's 'It's My Party', the third Patsy Cline's 'Crazy' (a personal favorite), and today's The Animals 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' (yep, I got teary and when I get teary my face gets hot, not pretty).  They start with the video feed and partway through a group will continue on with the singing.  I'll say it.  The guys do a better job than the gals do.  The chicks are shrill.  Even on the Patsy Cline song.  How could she?  Patsy Cline was smooth as whiskey and just as forlorn.

Anyway, I like the second half of service because I'm simply sitting and listening and thinking about what I'm hearing. 

I have to say this too... it is None of my business how you worship in your faith but the whole hand raising thing bugs me.  I don't get it, I find it distracting and weird, especially when someone does the shaky hand thing or get EmoTionaL.  In private fine, but in church it seems physically pontificating.  I know it is scriptural but still... there you have it.  My likes and don't likes about church bit!

After church my MIL gave me a turkey.  I'm defrosting a turkey in my refrigerator and have no idea what I am thinking with this.  Maybe I can get a few friends together and we can do a summer food version of Turkey dinner?  Or I can be selfish and like Darren McGavin's The Old Man from A Christmas Story.  Oh, that reminds me, we have a great Chinese place that serves Duck in town and I have been meaning to bring some home.

I dragged my groaning sons to Target and spent a ridiculous amount of money on food stuff and household cleaning items.  My bathroom shower is now soaking in cleaner as I type this.  Can't wait to try to clean that tomorrow morning when I am so groggy I can barely stand.  I like to plan ahead when it comes to self torture.

Since?  A solid two hour nap because I didn't manage to KO until after 12, and my El Negro Diablo Gato decided to molest my shoes at 5:30am forcing me to throw as many things within reach as possible at him. 
As well, Hamburger Helper and some healthy stuff with it for dinner, the boys were delighted.


No comments:

Post a Comment