Thursday, April 25, 2013

Against the Wind... blah blah post

Today was difficult.

As I pulled into (interesting expression) my garage after taking my sons to school I just sobbed.  So many little triggers.  Black trucks.  Any black truck...
The song on the CD.  Stupid HairBand Ballads.  Sobbed, then it eased.  Shower and move on...

Boundaries.  My career hasn't had proper boundaries, ever.  In particular I have had boundary issues as an independent contractor since I started professionally as a licensed stylist several years ago.  I have set pricing, in my head.  No little 4x6 card in a pretty frame.  This has presented a problem for me as I will 'modify' my pricing down frequently.  I am good at what I do.  I built a small, solid, loyal clientele quickly and I am slowly growing.  A loss here and there, but it happens.  I've learned to not take that personally and I've learned to recognize the ones that are not likely to come back... the 'Transiants' is how I think of them.  I think I do it due to little insecurities and they surface when a client asks, 'How much?'  

As well, I have had difficulties taking real risks to build steadily.  By risk I mean being in any way assertive about it.  I have been very passive about my business.  Though I am good at what I do I still have my insecurities, my inconsistencies. When I feel that way I tend to work hard but not smart.  I do well but I am not a good business person.

Suddenly I have had a shift.  I have created a referral system.  Today I went to OfficeDepot and had labels made. This was a mildly frustrating experience as the clerks seemed to be lost and disorganized, but I am also feeling emotional hang-over from this morning coupled with PMS.  Those poor people.  I wasn't rude to them, just in my head.  Oh yes, it's full technicolor special FX in there.

On the backs of roughly 100 of my business cards I am placing a label that reads (centered and in pretty font, obviously)...
-Refer a friend, receive 50% off
-Referred by
-Your name
-Service (for me to write in)
for equal or lesser value, excludes other promotions 
If a referral books and keeps the booking I will msg the client regarding their next appointment discount.

I would have also asked the Zombie Clerks at Office Depot to put together my price list on a 4x6 card but I was so irritated I drove across town to be even more irritated by the rude, 'over-worked' (just me, no other activity in front of or behind his counter of importance) clerk at OfficeMax.  I'd rather have the OfficeDepot Zombies annoy me.  At least they were just slow and apathetic.  This guy acted like he was launching missiles on North Korea and realized after he hit the Red Button he'd actually put in coordinates for Boston.  Get a grip son.  It's OfficeMax.  You don't even have any orders to process.  I know.  My 4x6 card is really an overload to your rats in a sinking ship on fire personality.  I bet he's an angry bible thumping door knocker on his off days. 

So I have my mental price list on my phone ready to present and I will have my 4x6 card made and it will be in a pretty font and in a pretty frame and I won't have to worry about modifying my price because I am feeling off that day in the communication department, or guilty because my prices are what they are (pretty much equal to everyone else in the shop and to industry standard I find, and in general competitive for my skill level in this economy, Insecure Guilt Be Gone)  If I modify price (for whatever reason) my clients, existing and new, will realize what a Deal they are getting!  It's a win for me and my clients can have confidence in my as their stylist.

I am taking steps and I feel better for it.  I handed out my first two referral cards today.  I figure two per client and if they want more they can have them.  I have a service that starts at $200 minimum, I can think of a few clients that will be very motivated.

I found out the other night my oldest son will be taking over playing drums during his mid-week and occasionally during a more casual second service at church.  He's excited but he's hiding it behind a cool facade.  I'm happy for him and it is a great opportunity.  He likes drumming but has never done anything formally to make it anything more than a simple interest.  I'm also touched the band is helping him learn to play for 'real' and teaching him the basics.  I have wanted this for him for a while now.  I'd considered lessons during summer but he landed himself in summer school last summer, and Already! this summer...

My youngest son is learning to do laundry and not just step over it.  He's doing great and with very little complaining.  He also put something back together tonight!  I came home to my antenna removed from my little radio/cd player I bought a few months ago.  I let him know he had to fix it or die.  He screwed it back on with his Swiss Army knife screw driver.

I'm so Proud!




No comments:

Post a Comment