Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Wicked, Wandering, and Wonderful




The path is smoothing out again
It is not rice paper, it is not broken glass
I started looking up again
Not down
Not feeling every dip, every curve
Not seeing every bad thing ahead
laying in wait with it's tail snapping in the shadows

The sun has been shining here
soft and warm and new
I've hidden from it some
Gently now I let it cover me
craving the warmth and sweetness of
the muted sounds of things alive around me

Even in the light, or in the cooler cover of night
I carry both my suspicious mind
my optimistic hope
They are fragile things to build upon

I owe Nothing
I have paid and paid the price
of things I did not purchase
and things I did

The Wicked, Wandering, and Wonderful
The small things
The greater things
all shaping and forming
all draped on My shoulders
The past
The present
The future
In my hands
long delicate fingers
attempt to draw them down
To cradle them there







8 comments:

  1. Thank you Kirk, I appreciate the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk... I edited it a little. It's a bit more realized. Let me know what you think?
    I appreciate it if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can't make a side-by-side comparison, but it's still very good.

    The poem you posted Saturday--The Slippery Slope--is also very good, though, I have to admit, at 52, it hit a little too close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Side-by-side, I didn't really consider. I cleaned it up. I tend to write quickly and edit much later...often after posting.
    Slippery Slope, I'll admit your response is...well, I'm grateful you are letting me know. I feel privileged.

    I could say a lot more. I have and deleted, started over, deleted. It'll probably end up coalescing into a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I may have misinterpreted "The Slippery Slope". I just saw it as a poem about mid-life crises, that's all. It doesn't match my exact life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn... Yes, The Slippery Slope... it was mid-life crisis. I appreciated the feedback. I don't get it that often when I write something because I show so few people what I write.
    I had begun to message here the inspiration of it... it was almost literal to my going out Friday night with a friend of a friend.

    I'd just been messaging another friend and we'd discussed how many women we see, in that age range, doing Exactly the same thing...
    I'd mentioned that I don't want to get stuck there, looking back at good times gone by, things not accomplished I thought would be. To remember age can simple be a number, to continue to Strive to feel alive, to avoid the trap of middle age...

    So... maybe it makes more sense now? That I'd written, deleted, written, deleted then figured maybe it would coalesce into a poem? *laugh*

    Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it makes more sense. After I read your second comment, I looked at the poem again, and got the sense you based it on an actual person rather than a KIND of person. In other words that poem was based on a specific event rather than a generalization. But a generalization is what I originally saw it as.

    For the record, I'm not trolling Hotties. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete